alternatives to smilies

Subject: alternatives to smilies
From: mpriestley -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 1994 14:35:13 EST

Just as a late addition to that discussion, I wanted to add a couple of
conventions I've seen around IBM (both deriving from GML-type tagging):

First, generic remarks: instead of saying "by Allah!" or equivalent, use a
redefinable "&deity.!" (anything between & and . are "variables").
Other uses: "Oh, you're getting married? &appropriateremark.!"

Second, tone-tagging: signal changes in tone with beginning and ending tags,
as in:
:righteous anger.
Did not! Never! Can't prove it!
:erighteous anger.

or

:grovel.
I was wrong, wrong, wrong. 'Scuse me while I suck on my shoelaces.
:egrovel.

This kind of added expression is useful, flexible, and obscure, much like
the SGML tagging it derives from.

Later all,

Michael Priestley
mpriestley -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com
Disclaimer: my opinions, not IBM's.