Good books

Subject: Good books
From: David McMurrey IBM <davidm -at- AUSTIN -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 1994 13:37:13 -0600

Thanks everyone for the opinions on reference books. I'd like to throw
out another question similar to that.

Is there a handbook/textbook/guide-to technical writing that you like, admire,
refer to often?

There are a lot of textbooks out there for college courses but they don't
have very much on the working/workaday/professional side of technical
writing.

Recently, I had a quick look at Judith Tarutz's Technical Editing (Addison-
Wesley) and start wondering where's the technical-writing companion to this?
It seemed to have good solid detailed info on editing standards, plus
practical advice on dealing with management, free-lancing, working with
writers, associations, relevant journals--I couldn't think of anything it
left out, and it seemed to cover (at least what I scanned) in a very solid
way.

David A. McMurrey (512) 838-7939
IBM--Technical editor Austin Community College
davidm -at- austin -dot- ibm -dot- com Instructor, Technical Writing