Filenaming conventions

Subject: Filenaming conventions
From: Doug Fettig <DFettig -at- NYD -dot- LEGENT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 1994 15:53:00 PST

Does anyone have a workable standard for naming doc files?

The convention that we are using (by tradition) and considering (by
choice) is to name each file so it indicates only the chapter NAME
and the environment.

I've also used a convention where the name of the doc file
indicates the product, environment, guide, and chapter number.
For example, PPPDI04 would indicate the product (PPP),
environment (D=DOS), guide (I=Install), and chapter number
(04).

I liked this convention because it was always easy to tell if
you had all the files in a guide, and whether they were in the right
sequence in a master file (Word for Windows) or book file
(FrameMaker).

Any opinions on the matter? What do you do?

Doug Fettig
DFETTIG -at- NYD -dot- LEGENT -dot- COM