Some software types do use manuals and notice the quality thereof

Subject: Some software types do use manuals and notice the quality thereof
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 1994 13:20:26 -0600

Regarding reading manuals:

I know that I have an exceptional husband, and I guess the
fact that he uses reference manuals and reads instruction
manuals makes him more so.

He lists these software manuals as well written, IHHO:

* VAX VMS
* XRT/Graph
* Most of the books published by O'Reilley and Associates

He is also good (better than I am) about reading instruction
booklets that come with a newly purchased item, whether it
be a Ford Explorer, a MotoTool, or a Colt SAA. Although
such instructions are very important, they rarely strike readers
as being "well written." (I don't have a list of notably good
instruction books, but we on this list have previously discussed
poorly written instructions.)

The point is that some people do use manuals, and sometimes they
do notice (and appreciate!) the quality when they are written
well.

LaVonna
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com