Re: (Was Glossaries etc.)

Subject: Re: (Was Glossaries etc.)
From: "by way of nburns -at- noao -dot- edu Nancy S. Burns" <chill -at- INDYUNIX -dot- IUPUI -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 1994 10:52:42 -0825

Heh all,
I'm wondering about this glossary thing...
I'm currently rewriting a "Student Guide" to my organization (Our organization
provides technical and (you could say) emotional support for a campus of
student computer users). Among the things they NEED to know about the
organization of things is where to get their UserIDs, how to access the
mainframes, where to go to use the public computer clusters, etc.

What I'm wondering is this: Would my audience (typically uninitiated
technologically) benefit from BOTH an index AND a glossary, or margin
definitions AND a glossary. I seem to think that the later of the two would
be most helpful to my particular audience (but I'm quite interested in your

Oh, the new and improved guide is to be more compact (ie much shorter) in order
to drop our printing costs a bit. Just another proverbial 'fly in the ointment'
;-)

I'm the pup around here (literally) so I'm rather interested in my elders'

Thanks in Advance

Chad Hill
Office of Integrated Technologies
chill -at- indyunix -dot- iupui -dot- edu