Re: DIN plug, -a term to use?

Subject: Re: DIN plug, -a term to use?
From: Jim Grey <jwg -at- ACD4 -dot- ACD -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 1994 07:57:43 -0500

Lars Semb has this problem:
>Will the term "5 pin DIN plug" or "4 pin mini DIN plug" be understood
>(outside Europe)?
>Example: "Connect the male 5 pin DIN plug to the inlet marked Audio in."
>I think most people can figure out which plug we are talking about :),
>but are the DIN plugs known as a "name" for these type of plugs (like we
>are talking about "phono" plugs or "BNC"). Or maybe someone has a better
>term to use?

The term "DIN plug" sounds really familiar to me, but I have no idea, offhand,
what one might look like. I'd include a drawing of what the plug looks like,
especially the connecting end. This way, even if your audience doesn't know
what a DIN plug is, they'll be able to match this new name to the actual plug.

For example, I once wrote an installation manual for a hardware box we make
and sell. The installer needs to connect it to a disk drive, which we also
sell. The cable which goes between the boxes has unusual connectors at the
ends -- it's rectangular, 4 pins high by 32 pins wide. None of the engineers
here had a name for it. So I called it the "4x32 connector" and included a
diagram of what it looks like. It seemed to go over well.

jim grey
--
jim grey |beebeebumbleandthestingersmottthehoopleraycharlessingers
jwg -at- acd4 -dot- acd -dot- com |lonniemackandtwangin'eddiehere'smyringwe'regoingsteadyta