Please tell me this is an April Fool's gag

Subject: Please tell me this is an April Fool's gag
From: ejray -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 1994 10:37:16 CST

Hi!
I just saw this in EDUPAGE, a general news list I get,
and I am surprised, to put it mildly. The copy reads:

SOFTWARE REPLACES SPORTSWRITERS
A $100 software program called Sportswriter is capable
of churning out reasonably good sports copy by
intelligently stringing together words between facts.
Some 80 small newspapers in the Midwest have purchased
the program and are using it to cover high school
sports events. (Wall Street Journal 3/29/94 A1)

Snide comments about sports writing aside, this seems
to push the bounds of automation tools. Have any of you
seen such a thing?

We all know that we couldn't be replaced with a $100
program called TECHWRITER, but I could see some
companies looking into this type of thing.

Comments?
Eric
ejray -at- okway -dot- okstate -dot- edu