Words Into Type--4th ed.

Subject: Words Into Type--4th ed.
From: Tom Warren <TWARREN -at- OSUVM1 -dot- BITNET>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 1994 09:00:20 CST

A couple of notes have asked about WORDS INTO TYPE, 4th edition. 1996
seems a rewasonable date; however, there is controversy about it. The
editor wants an up-to-date section on electronic publishing (i.e.,
desktop publishing) that is thorough. I want to put the general
information about it and point to the bibliography. The technology
moves too fast for anything like the level of detailed the editor wants.
OPINIONS?????
While I am asking, there are two other items that I would appreciatae an
opinion on:
1. I moved Danish, Dutch, Hebrew (to to reset),Portuguese, and Russian
to an appendix. That leaves French, German, Classical Greek, Latin, and
Spanish for the main body. I also moved Trite Expression, Cold Type
Composition (along with Hot Metal), using op.cit., ibid., etc., and
phonetics to appendixes. Again, OPINION???
2. There is now one glossary that puts several lists in one, combined
list place (i.e., grammar terms, printing terms, etc.). OPINION????
I would appreciate opinions because this is REALLY a users manual and
you are the users. If you'll respond to me directly, I'll post a
summary. Oh, all the discussion on indexing is interesting. What kind
of an index should WIT4 have? Are there problems with the WIT3 index?

Tom
Tom Warren
twarren -at- vm1 -dot- ucc -dot- okstate -dot- edu