girls and computers, was: Gendered Communication

Subject: girls and computers, was: Gendered Communication
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 1994 14:36:45 -0500

re the newspaper article that Andreas posted

The article noted that girls lose interest in computers in
the 7th grade. I hypothesize that some of this is a reflection
of their "generation." The seventh graders (approx 13 yrs old)
have grown up around computers more than those who are only
4 or 5 years older.

This would vary from town to town, but I believe that the integration
of computers into public schools increased greatly over the past 10
years and is still continuing.

OTOH, I do not discount the societal implecations. Persons attracted
to computer science are often also those attracted to mathematics, and
boys usually outnumber girls in those classes, too.

(Personally, my interest in computers started in about the 11th grade
and continues today.)

Interesting article--thanks for posting it, Andreas.

LaVonna
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com