Re: Job Hunting

Subject: Re: Job Hunting
From: Kelly Hoffman <kelly -at- NASHUA -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 1994 14:36:36 EDT

Several folks have responded, including jim grey, who writes:

> My company has a really annoying habit of liking to fill positions internally.

and Patti Waterbury:

> This is pretty much standard operating procedure for my company. They
> always do an internal posting and outsiders can apply only after a closing
> date. More often than not, the position is filled from within the company
> before the closing date. Quite a few of these new positions' requirements
> are tailored to meet the skills of someone who needed a promotion.

"needed" a promotion?

Perhaps I'm just dense today, but I guess I don't see the problem
with this practice, at least in moderation. Would you folks prefer
the alternative, where no one internally is considered for a
position, only outside applicants need apply?

Or is it simply that your experience has been that internal
candidates aren't as qualified as externals? If so, it strikes
me that this is a symptom of a *much* larger problem.

kkh
Kelly K. Hoffman kelly -at- nashua -dot- hp -dot- com
Learning Products Engineer
Hewlett-Packard, Network Test Division "Reading the manual is
One Tara Blvd., Nashua, NH 03062 admitting defeat."