Rein/Reign (summary)

Subject: Rein/Reign (summary)
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- CRABAPPLE -dot- BITNET>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 1994 09:48:41 IDT

the answers were--

- 6 for "rein", citing
Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable (Centenary Ed. 1970)
The Harper Dictionary of Contemporary Usage
The American Heritage Dictionary

- 1 for "reign", no citation

Steve Fouts quotes the Harper Dictionary to the effect that "When these
expressions are used figuratively the spelling is always rein." Sounds
a little draconion because of course "free reign" is a perfectly good
phrase in its own right; but I guess that even if used intentionally
it looks like an error... though deborah -at- asl -dot- dl -dot- nec -dot- com writes
" I've had several coworker writers who definitely felt that
they reigned over format! (:-> ".