Connotation vs. Denotation

Subject: Connotation vs. Denotation
From: "Elliott C. Evans" <evans -at- ANSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 1994 11:06:40 EDT

It seems to me that this whole argument about "Abort, Retry, Fail"
and violent terminology is the result of a disagreement between
connotation and denotation. What we "think" a word means often
has no relation to its actual definition.

Other things can be aborted besides feti, and "server" doesn't mean
slave unless you want it to.

As a rhetor, I do feel the need to present my ideas unambiguously,
however I have little sympathy for people who don't know the meaning
of a word. Am I being unreasonable? ("Yes," is an acceptable answer.)

> From: Jonathan Price <jonprice -at- AOL -dot- COM>
> I'd like to hear of other terms that equate computer use with
> warfare, or at least the kind of violence we see on TV.

How about "Flame the poster". =^> Just wanted to inject a little
levity...

+-----
| Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans |
| Technical Writer, Ansoft Corporation |
| evans -at- ansoft -dot- com Pittsburgh, PA |
-----+