Page preview/composition and (or vs.) writing

Subject: Page preview/composition and (or vs.) writing
From: Vicki Rosenzweig <murphy!acmcr!vr -at- UUNET -dot- UU -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 1994 15:13:56 EDT

One word of warning: there are few things more frustrating than
an almost-WYSIWYG display. We have an SGML-based publishing
application here (I don't think the root of the problems is
in SGML, though), which includes a "preview" function designed
to show you what your page will look like. I had something
recently, involving a string of italicized terms separated by
the Unix pipe symbol |, and when I previewed it, it looked as
though my line was too long. After much effort, I squeezed it
down to fit, and triumphantly printed. The page that had looked
right on screen turned out, when printed by the same software,
to have an _underfull_ line. When I took out all the fixes I
had patiently put in, and ignored the preview function, the
page worked. The only explanation I ever got for this was "it
isn't wysiwyg," which is literally true--what I saw wasn't
what I got--and misses the point, because the only purpose of
a page previewer is to be wysiwyg.

Vicki Rosenzweig
vr%acmcr -dot- uucp -at- murphy -dot- com
New York, NY