[no subject]

From: Undetermined origin c/o Postmaster <POSTMASTER -at- OSUVM1 -dot- BITNET>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 1994 08:31:07 -0600

From: HALL -at- WTHM32@PSI%ESFM01 -at- MRGATE@SNDRTR
To: "techwr-l -at- osuvm1 -dot- bitnet"@M_INTERNET -at- MRGATE@SNDRTR -at- SNDRTR

I'll try again. I've been reading about 51% of the mail regarding sexist,
sexual and violent terminology which is used in computerese and presumbably,
the manuals that try to document the computerese; and about 32% of the
copyright discussion.

What I find interesting is the very wholesome and clean
nature of the verbiage you all choose to use. I am tempted to pull a George
Carlin and list the seven words that we can't say on the radio or NBC, just to
see if a team of goons in green camoflage shows up and drags me off to the
torture chamber. I mean, what the hell? Is feisty language considered vulgar,
immature, cheap, too easy, too connected to the likes of Tonya Harding et al?

Admittedly, one does not need to pepper one's prose indiscriminately with
four-letter versions of more standard speech, but I can't help but feel that I
have joined a group of closet Henry Millers who are just waiting to bust
through the door and whip out their most lurid phrases.

Fear of seeming adolescent may be tied to fear of being ripped off, but
probably not. I think that it's just a question of your brains being a few
sizes larger than mine.

Kirby Hall hall -at- wthm32 -dot- sinet -dot- slb -dot- com My Days at Clichy

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 1994 13:26:47 -0700 (MST)
From: HALL -at- WTHM32 -dot- sinet -dot- slb -dot- com
Subject: Proper Language and Etiquette
To: techwr-l -at- osuvm1 -dot- bitnet