Re[2]: Hardware writers

Subject: Re[2]: Hardware writers
From: Chuck Banks <chuck -at- ASL -dot- DL -dot- NEC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 1994 10:56:18 CDT

I still document hardware in installation, operation, and
maintenance procedures and descriptive texts.

In central office systems, voice, data, and wideband, most
systems are computer-controlled. So, the majority of documents
describe how to use the controlling software. Usually, the only
human contact with the hardware involves either installing new
hardware or replacing faulty hardware. Other than powersupply
voltages, nearly all adjustments are made in software.

In non-computer controlled systems, like microwave radio systems,
the adjustments may be manual, but the test equipment is often
computer-controlled. Regardless, we spend most of our time
documenting software operation procedures.

I can't forsee any change in this trend, but then, if I could, I'd
be wealthy and not answering this posting. ;^)

Best Regards!

Chuck Banks
--
|\\ | || // Chuck Banks
| \\ | ||_______ || Senior Technical Writer
| \\ | || || NEC America, Inc.
| \\| \\______ \\______ E-Mail: chuck -at- asl -dot- dl -dot- nec -dot- com
America, Incorporated CompuServe: 72520,411