Interviewing

Subject: Interviewing
From: Steve Gray <sagray -at- AMP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 1994 08:13:37 EDT

Andreas Ramos writes about dealing with the question of who should
set the price in work-contract negotiation (or interviewing):

> Don't name the number. Let they say the number. If they press and ask
> you, just say "let's hear what you had in mind". If they refuse to name a
> number and throw the ball back to you, just say "I'd rather hear you
> first." AND THEN JUST SIT THERE. Don't say a word. Just sit there.
> There'll be a long silence, and they'll finally talk, because you've
> already decided not to talk.

In a book called "Hardball Job Hunting Tactics," the author discussed
this kind of situation. I remember two possible responses by the
job candidate:

Option 1: "I'm sure you have a figure in mind for this contract. Before
I commit myself to a figure, what is the range?"

The problem with this option is that it opens the door for the interviewer
to lie about the price. To guard against this, be aware of what other
writers are charging, and what you can afford.

Option 2: Thank the interviewer for his or her time, and walk out. If
they are serious about getting the work done, they shouldn't
be playing games with you. If they are this difficult now,
how will they be once you get into the project?

For interviewers who are serious about hiring a professional, option 2
will frequently shock 'em enough to consider you. They'll know you won't
sit still for petty nonsense.

But realize that option 2 is a last resort. Don't do it unless you are
really prepared to walk out and never see that interviewer again!

Steve Gray sagray -at- amp -dot- com
Corp Stds & Tech Pubs
AMP Incorporated, Harrisburg, PA (717) 780-4393