Re: Andreas latest job h...

Subject: Re: Andreas latest job h...
From: Dawn-Marie Oliver <d3g578 -at- XANTHIA -dot- PNL -dot- GOV>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 1994 06:58:43 -0700

> Yes, $5,000 for a course. If that shocks you, well, you probably don't eat
> caviar either. Or pay $200 bucks for Word, when a 10 cent pencil is
> cheaper. The point is: would you pay $5,000 for a course which results in
> a $50,000 job? Of course.

As I recent college graduate (ok, well, 2 years ago...), allow me to
post my $0.25 worth:

To most starving-student types, $5000 dollars for a seminar is out of
the question. In my instance, $5000 was _almost_ an entire years
tuition, fees, book, housing, and meal (state college).

Also, *most* college grads are not going to be getting $50,000 a year
jobs, no matter _what_ seminar they take (unless they are working
in Silicon Valley, where the cost of living is higher, and $50,000
doesn't have as much buying power as it does say in Milwaukee.

Yes, if you've been working a while, and are looking for a new job,
$5000 for a seminar might be feasible.

> A $1,000 per day fee is completely normal and reasonable. Most
> professional seminar fees are in this range. Lawyers and doctors commonly
> pay this, or higher, for their seminars. These prices are normal in the
> computer industry as well. Anyone who is involved in business which
> commonly works with amounts of hundreds of thousands, or millions, will
> pay a measly $1,000 for information. The result makes the cost reasonable.

Again, recent college grads (which I assumed the originator of this
thread was) do *not* work with large amounts of money.

Sorry if this offends anyone, but this hit a sore spot with me.

Dawn-Marie Oliver
--aspiring writer