Re: Seeking info re: tools for demonstrative tutorials

Subject: Re: Seeking info re: tools for demonstrative tutorials
From: Steve Gray <sagray -at- AMP -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 2 May 1994 08:42:12 EDT

> We (Eicon Technology) are looking to do is integrate our MS-Windows online
> help more closely with our applications, at least as a pilot project. A key
> aspect of this would be the ability to record and play back demonstrations
> of actual application usage as any of, in order of preference:

> 1) Windows events (i.e., keystrokes, mouse-clicks, etc.)
> 2) frame-based animation
> 3) digitally stored video (i.e., AVI)

> Here's the kicker: our best solution would be one that combines the
> simplicity of playing back Win events with the ability to display chunks of
> explanatory text when we want to. Suggestions, everybody? Questions?

Padraig,

Have you looked at Toolbook? It's priced quite reasonably, and
it's easy to use. It might not be terribly sophisticated, but it
works quite well, and learning the scripting language is relatively
easy. I'm not sure, but I think it will do the things you want...

Steve Gray sagray -at- amp -dot- com
Corp Stds & Tech Pubs
AMP Incorporated, Harrisburg, PA (717) 780-4393