Re: To be or not: An E-prime inquiry

Subject: Re: To be or not: An E-prime inquiry
From: "Doug, Data Librarian at Ext 4225" <engstromdd -at- PHIBRED -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 May 1994 12:43:03 -0500

I understood there was supposed to be some sort of broad philisophical agenda
behind E-Prime; far more than the goal of clearer, more forceful writing. I
read an Atlantic Monthy article some time ago that said (disclaimer: I'm relying
on memory here) that it was originally created by a fanatic Polish linguist
who believed that the construction "to be" led to all sorts of conceptual
errors in human thinking, which in turn resulted in political problems, social
problems, etc.

Does anybody out there know more about this? Maybe from some better sources?

Doug
ENGSTROMDD -at- phibred -dot- com