Thanks and Help...Tech Writing Managers

Subject: Thanks and Help...Tech Writing Managers
From: Marilyn Gelman <gelman -at- SUN490 -dot- FDU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 5 May 1994 11:44:47 GMT

1. Thanks to everyone who reponded to my request for help with my project,
"Current Trends in the Management of Technical Writers." I try to repay the
favor by responding to other's requests for help when I can.

2. Help.
The manager of a large technical writing staff became interested in the Net -
its access to newsgroups and resources - and asked how he might use the Net
for business. He does not mean advertising his company's product; he means
developing ongoing relationships with people in other companies who may be
inventing the same wheel or considering the same new technology as he. He
is looking for something more structured than professional organization
meetings or lurking about the Net. This manager feels that even managers in
competing companies can share war stories without giving away "trade secrets."
What's your opinion? (BTW, I think that this group serves that function for me,
but he asked for something more formal).

Does anyone know where I might find info on some type of "Net Conferencing?"
I've heard of IRC, but it is not available to me. Other suggestions would be
welcomed.