Re: space space

Subject: Re: space space
From: Patti Waterbury <waterbp -dot- csc -at- MHS -dot- ELAN -dot- AF -dot- MIL>
Date: Fri, 6 May 1994 12:33:00 -0700

Form: Memo
Text: (34 lines follow)
Regarding LaVonna's comments:

>My editor yesterday told me to globally change my 2 spaces
>after each sentence to 1 space after each sentence. The
>two-space habit is so engrained that I don't know if I
>can switch. I also think this is a bit of personal preference.

>What do you think? In the age of desktop publishing, have you
>switched to the single space? (I have heard a dtp guru list
>the single space as a "rule," but I still choose to space-space.)

>If it makes a difference, I was using 11-pt Palatino.

>LaVonna
>lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com

When I was learning how to typeset (in 1988 on the world's oldest
Compugraphic) in college, we were told to only put a single space after a
period. The reason being that since most fonts are proportional, two
spaces are not going to fill the space for two spaces (that's what em-,
en-, and thin-spaces are for). Two spaces also usually make for a big
white space when the text is full-justified. I think the space space rule
(that everyone learned in typing class) was necessary on a typewriter, but
is not any longer. I routinely search and replace all double spaces with a
single space on everything.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Patti Waterbury
waterbp -dot- csc -at- mhs -dot- elan -dot- af -dot- mil

Disclaimer: My opinion is mine. It doesn't represent the opinion of my
employer or the installation on which I am employed.

Attachment Count: 0
Encatts: *beyond*|*beyond*|407|12502|768252831|