ZIP code stuff

Subject: ZIP code stuff
From: David Oberstadt <daveo -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 May 1994 10:54:46 PDT

Barb wants to know about the ZIP code...

The U.S. Postal Service has used this acronym since I was
a little boy. It stands for Zonal Improvement Plan and was
so effective, they added four more digits to mine. (Talk is
more may be coming!)

They don't care if you use it, just don't infringe on it.
That is, don't use a code of your own and call it a ZIP code.

More importantly, I recommend going international. ZIP codes
are used exclusively in the United States. Elsewhere, they
are known as postal codes. (Please don't be angry at me for
using passive voice.) Yes, even our neighbors in Canada have
postal codes, not ZIP codes.

David Oberstadt Santa Teresa Lab
daveo -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com San Jose, California