Re: a stumper

Subject: Re: a stumper
From: Rollings Gill <WGILLR -at- WOK-MSMAIL-GW -dot- ISL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 May 1994 17:44:00 PDT

Derek's Dilemma is as follows (original text truncated):

"Let's say we're working in a unix environment where character case is
essential and we are describing an element of unix. A sentence might
read:

usadr contains the terminal user address. usadr is 16-characters long.

The sentence would begin with a lower case letter. Strange yet inherently
beautiful....."

One of the following may be helpful (these suggestions ar based on my
company's documentation standards):

1. You format usadr in a different font if you have just used it in an
example of some code that the user may type (we use TimesRoman for general
text, Courier for code);

2. You format usadr in bold or italics, but still in the usual font, in
order to indicate that it is a field name.

Gill Rollings, Internet Systems Ltd.
gill -dot- rollings -at- isl -dot- com