STC Conference Costs

Subject: STC Conference Costs
From: GKTWR -at- TTACS1 -dot- TTU -dot- EDU
Date: Mon, 16 May 1994 09:42:28 -0600

Even though Albert requested personal replies to his message about STC
conference costs, I am posting to the list because I think it is an
issue that should be discussed by all.

Yes, the costs are almost prohibit to academics. And not just the travel
and lodging aspects. Registration costs are high for us and they usually
come from our own pocket. IEEE-PCS is the same way.

Recently I had to estimate for the chair of my department the conferences that I
would go to if I were funded. I made a conservative estimate; there are four
.
Two are sponsored by academics and two by professional organizations (STC
obviously being one of them.) I made conservative estimates about cost--
and always assuming I'd be able to share a room with one or two others. The
figure I came up with was between $3500 and $4000 a year for travel. The
professionally sponsored confernces cost me about twice as much as the
academic ones.

How much do I get in travel money. Well, for the past academic year $350.
So I could afford registration at STC.

I value my contacts with people in industry. Yes, there are regional meetingsm,
etc. but nothing is quite like a national conference of people in your
field. It is frustrating to feel the national organization is so
unresponsive to part of its constituency.

And yes, I appreciate the electronic contact that I have with industry
people. Thank you, God, for this list. I have been enriched and enlightened
by so many of you who find the time to post to the list your concerns
and the problems you deal with.

So there you are, Albert. Another academic voice crying out for relief
from expense account STC conferences.

Patricia Goubil-Gambrell
Texas Tech University