Re: How do I show an example?

Subject: Re: How do I show an example?
From: John Gough <john -at- ATRIUM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 May 1994 15:38:51 CDT

We're having fun now...

First, the direct answer:

Option 1: if there is a large or indeterminate number of object classes,
do show a representative window and label it as such. (If
this is the case, you're probably dealing with a programming
tool, and programmers certainly ought to understand the
concept of.)

Option 2: if there is a finite number of object classes, do the same
thing. BUT, in addition, you can
create a reference section of the documentation that shows
each. You are probably writing in a guide, where you just
need the concept across.

Now for the general opinion:

Our software is based on this kind of model, too. I can appreciate
the usefulness of the programming constructs, but the obtuseness of
the language is infuriating.

In the process of writing books I've found that 'instance' is an
unnecessary term, so I've been weeding it out. It's a very difficult
notion to explain, partially because it's unnecessary and partly
because the terminology doesn't have an easy metaphor in everyday
experience. (I try to avoid citing Plato's "The Cave" :-)

In my writing, an 'object' is a member of an 'object class' (or type,
depending on the product--yep, we have some consistency issues to work
out). I haven't found a single case where I need to utter the word
'instance' to be understood. An object instance is always uniquely
identified by a name, so when I need to abstract that (in command
lines, for example), I use a token like _serverName_.

Example: when I read the specs, a command or API might read
like this:

goober -c _objectClass_ -z"attributes" _objectInstance_

I replaced _objectInstance_ as follows:
if 'goober' only worked on one class of object, I
reflected that: _boatName_
otherwise, I used _objectName_

Look mom, no 'instance'! In the text, I talk about 'the boat', 'the
object', or 'the name', as fits the situation.

When our stuff is implemented at the user level, I try to
get the GUI designer to focus on names of things (boat),
rather than the abstractions that give them birth.
Concreteness increases ease of use, especially for the
level of the audience that uses the GUIs.

Hope this helps.

John
John Gough Atrium Technologies Austin TX john -at- atrium -dot- com