Re: Learning/researching phase of writing

Subject: Re: Learning/researching phase of writing
From: Faith Weber <weber -at- EASI -dot- ENET -dot- DEC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 20 May 1994 10:30:45 PDT

Re: Len's comments on Erik's questions:

>I've found that interviewing SME's works best *after* I've done all the
>preliminary research possible, and I've already identified areas that
>only the SME knows, so I can focus here, knowledgably and relentlessly,
>in an interview. I let the SME know in advance what I'll be asking, and
>I'll *interrupt* the SME during explanations to give me time to write
>everything down, and ask for clarification as necessary.

I agree with this. I get the spec and read it until I understand
as much as possible, and I sometimes start writing drafts I can
show the SME to see if I'm on the right track. I make notes about
parts I don't understand, and I try to frame my questions around
the things I *do* understand so it's clear what's missing.

The other thing I think is terribly important in working with SMEs,
though, is just plain interest in their work. I think it's very
worthwhile to point out anything they've done that you like or
are impressed with. Ask what made them decide to implement this
feature one way and not the other -- not because you think their
way is goofy, but because you're interested in their work and the
challenges they have to contend with. Showing frustration or any
kind of judgmental feelings, in my experience, can really hinder
the relationship, while making an effort to see things from the
SME's point of view, as well as the user's, can really pay off.
It also puts you in a better position to negotiate when you think
they've done something really screwy -- "Yeah, I can see why you
wanted to do it this way. But here's how the user will see it."

Being a friend to your SME makes him/her more likely to seek you
out when new info crops up that you should be aware of. If you
find it difficult with some people, humor can really help ("I
can't turn my back on you guys for a second!" combined with
dramatic eye-rolling is one of my favorites).

One other thing: I started keeping candy in my office. I get a lot
more visits from SMEs (and I tease them about whether or not they've
been good enough to have any candy)! Werther's and Dove chocolates
are the popular ones here. The simplest rewards can be the most
effective -- a woman at my significant other's workplace trained
him to be more careful about his parking by giving him chocolate
whenever he parked between the lines! He didn't even mind that she
was "training" him.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Faith Weber
EA Systems Inc.
weber -at- easi -dot- enet -dot- dec -dot- com