Re: passives

Subject: Re: passives
From: Richard Burnham <ww -at- WISEWORD -dot- DEMON -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Sun, 22 May 1994 10:57:51 +0000

In article <199405161613 -dot- AA25860 -at- ruulch -dot- let -dot- ruu -dot- nl>
Louise -dot- Cornelis -at- let -dot- ruu -dot- nl "Louise Cornelis" writes:

> This leads me to my last point: you can use the passive in order to put
> agents in the right position that are no `proper' agents. For example, `He
> was hit by lightning' is better than `Lightning hit him', because
> lightning is only `sort of' an agent: it is not a responsible or volitional
> causer of the event (this is an idea of the linguist Scott Delancey, thanks
> are due to him). Likewise, if you write a computer manual, it is better to
> background the COMPUTER (or the programm) by phrasing its actions
> in passives than the USER. So you get `After you have chosen the right
> option, the programm manager window will be displayed/opened' rather
> than `After the right option is chosen, Windows will display the pro-
> gramm manager window'. At least that is what I would recommend.
> (again, this idea is not just mine, thans to Stephen Bernhardt for this).

"....Windows will display the program manager window" puts the emphasis on
Windows as the agent, which it is not: Windows is not an agent, but a tool or
medium for carrying out an action. The user is the agent. Compare "the
hammer hit the nail".

I prefer to put the user at the centre; after all, the manual is being written
for her/him:

"Choose [the option] to see the Program Manager window" or
"When you choose [this option], you see the Program Manager window"

Richard

--
Richard Burnham, Wise Words ww -at- wiseword -dot- demon -dot- co -dot- uk
Technical writing, training, learning materials