Use of a slash (/)

Subject: Use of a slash (/)
From: Mary Jean Fitzgibbons <MJFITZG -at- WAYNEST1 -dot- BITNET>
Date: Tue, 24 May 1994 15:33:02 EDT

Hello all from a long-time lurker (and learner)!

I finally have a need to solicit your collective knowledge. I couldn't find
anything in my style guides and grammar books about the proper use of the
slash (/).

I have always used it to indicate words that are somewhat synonymous.
I am editing an article for a computer security officer, and he uses it
as follows: student/employee privacy -- grades/payroll data

I want to justify changing the slash to "or" -- as it also is my under-
standing that "or" implies "and/or".

How's about it? (Will summarize for the group, if you-all would like.)

Mary Jean Fitzgibbons | Wayne State University
Information Officer II | Computing & Information Technology (C&IT)
(and Newsletter Editor) | Planning and Support Services (PaSS) Dept.
PHONE: 313-577-3614 | 5950 Cass Ave.-327 Admin.Services Bldg. #2
FAX: 313-577-8787 | Detroit, MI 48202
BITNET: MJFITZG -at- WAYNEST1 -dot- BITNET
Internet: mjfitzg -at- cms -dot- cc -dot- wayne -dot- edu