Multiplatform docs

Subject: Multiplatform docs
From: Jim Snowden <snowdenj -at- HEAC003 -dot- GB -dot- EC -dot- PS -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 25 May 1994 11:14:43 +0100

Hello fellow writers,

I am probably goin to be starting work on a software product that runs at
present under OS/2, but will soon be released on Windows 4 and NT/Cairo.

The paper manuals are currently done in Microsoft Word.

I was wondering what y'all (practising my American) thought about this
idea for producing the stuff. I'd much appreciate any comments or hints and
especially like to know if anyone has tried the on-line route:

1 Continue producing the paper stuff in Microsoft Word. Does this have any
sort of version control at 6.0 to pull together the texts required for
different versions?

2 Produce on-line help using one of the nice tools like Forehelp -> give
Windows help. Probably pull in some of the reference stuff from the
Word for Windows documents.

Then use HDK to convert the windows help to the HDK common format, and use
HDK again to generate the OS/2 help format

What I'm also wondering is whether I'd be better off using the Microsoft
Viewer product rather than the standard Windows help engine. I've been
hearing something about Windows 4.0 and NT perhaps using the Viewer engine
- anyone able to confirm/deny this?

Thanks a lot for your help. This is a great list, especially for those that
are the only writer in an organisation!

Jim Snowden
snowdenj -at- heac003 -dot- gb -dot- ec -dot- ps -dot- net