Re: Use of a slash (/)

Subject: Re: Use of a slash (/)
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <arlen -dot- walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 May 1994 13:46:26 -0500

Karen asserts:
>You wrote:
>>Because the slash is not a
>>word, it's disruptive to the reading process and slows people down.

>This doesn't make sense to me. (That symbols would be read differently
>from text.) I guess I'm generalizing from my experiences of reading
>Japanese and Chinese. You read the meaning of the item from the shape.

>I mean, you've just provided a reason for not including any graphics in
>a document, which I don't think anyone would advocate!

But a graphic conveys more information in a smaller space and makes it
easier to understand (if it doesn't, then it shouldn't be there).
Therefore, while it's true it breaks the rhythm of reading, the short delay
it causes is more than made up for by the quantity and quality of
information transmitted. The slash, however, conveys little extra
information, so provides no compensation for the delay it causes.

Have Fun,
Arlen

arlen -dot- walker -at- jci -dot- com
This mail message contains 100% recycled electrons