Cleaning Scanned Images

Subject: Cleaning Scanned Images
From: "Garry F. Bartels" <Gbartels -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 May 1994 18:01:51 EDT

We are in the process of converting our Technical Documentation to a format
suitable for on-demand printing. Part of the process involves scanning
technical drawings, schematics, PC layouts, etc. for inclusion in the
manuals.

We have a couple of 600 dpi, high-quality scanners--but still it seems the
scanned images need a lot of touch-up work. Our systems are DOS/Windows
based and we have found that Paintbrush is one of the best programs for PCX
file editing. We have also tried PC Paintbrush 5+ and other graphics
programs with varied success.

Has anyone found a better alternative to Paintbrush? I am looking for faster
image/text rotation times for large files, resizing, lines with arrows, etc.
Z-soft PC Paintbrush 5+ has many desired features, but it requires too much
memory to be compatible with my network.

Also, any suggestions on getting better scans or clean-up software would be
appreciated.

Garry
Ericsson GE
gbartels -at- aol -dot- com