Mailing Lists

From: Richard Sobocinski <"Richard_G_Sobocinski%~WHC207"@CCMAIL.PNL.GOV>
Date: Thu, 26 May 1994 13:26:00 -0700

Can anyone provide me with info. on potential lists in the following areas:

-hypertext/online documentation
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Try "listproc -at- info -dot- cern -dot- ch" SUBSCRIBE www-talk <your name>
Mostly very technical discussions related to WWW and HTML
(hypertext markup language), usually coding or protocol
related, but may be of some value to you.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
-the copy/edit list mentioned by someone recently
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"listserv -at- cornell -dot- edu" SUBSCRIBE copyediting-l <your name>
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
-multimedia
-usability testing (particularly doc. testing)
-user interface design
-Geographic Information Systems (not writing-related, but for me)

I currently don't have access to news groups on the Internet directly at my
work account, (and my account on our local Freenet is virtually impossible to
access with our Freenet's current number of dialups), so I am finding these
lists a handy way to access info. and resources.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you can telnet to "bbs.oit.unc.edu" (login as bbs) you can
set up a free account that can access news groups using
several varieties of news readers.
Also, does anyone know of a directory of mailing lists, electronic or
otherwise?
In general, if you send the single command "LISTS" (no "") to
a "listserv -at- -dot- -dot- -dot- " address, you will rec'v back a list of lists
carried by that listserver.

I hope that you can distinguish my comments from the original
questions :)