Re: Amazed at offered salaries; need input!

Subject: Re: Amazed at offered salaries; need input!
From: Steve Fouts <sfouts -at- ELLISON -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 27 May 1994 08:48:08 CDT

Kathleen Nosbisch talking about lowball offers said:
|} I'm starting to think I'm totally crazy here, being out of work
|} for almost a month, yet turning jobs down. Am I???? If so,
|} someone please hit me with a 2x4!!
|}

When you are in the job market, you absolutely must know what your
services are worth, and stick to your guns. I am currently employed
but looking for a change of venue. A big, national company based in
Seattle (now I ain't namin' names) was looking for a technical editor
with 3-5 years of experience and a BS in CS for $30K. Excuse ME!

The cost of housing in the Seattle area is about 2 to 2.5 times what
it is here in lovable old Houston, and $30K was good solid starting
wage for an entry level B.A. in technical communication five years ago.
Thank you very much, don't call me, I'll call you.

My favorite was a little place in Montana that, because of its proximity
to a couple of ski resorts, has property values about on par with a
large city, that wanted to start up a technical documentation dept.
(fantasy job, right?) and pay the new head of the department $20K. Um,
do I get a company car with that? I think I made $10/hr as head cook
in a restaurant while I was going to college. Yowza!

If the company has little, or no idea of the $ value of the work that
you do, I find it hard to believe that they will value your contributions
once you get there, and low pay combined with low respect makes for
pretty miserable working confitions. For that matter, high pay combined
with low respect can make for pretty miserable working conditions, but
that's another thread! Keep looking.

/ ___ __/__\ \ / / _\ Steve Fouts
/___ \| | ___\ | / __\ sfouts -at- ellison -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com
/_______/__|_______\_/________\ "These are not books, lumps of lifeless paper,
but _minds_ alive on the shelves." -- Gilbert Highet