Re: (Non)Degreed and insulted!!

Subject: Re: (Non)Degreed and insulted!!
From: "Bonni J. Graham" <bgraham -at- ELECTRICITI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 1994 18:18:41 PST

Anne notes:
"Well, he leaned back in his chair, crossed his arms, and grinned.
Then he asked, "Can you prove that you generated any of this stuff?"
and sat waiting for my reaction."

I've asked this in interviews, too -- in fact I go one step harder. I ask
them to show me one piece they really like and describe why, and one pieces
they really wish they could do over AND DESCRIBE HOW AND WHY. This shows
progression in their field... Many people have not done well on this
portion of the interview.

For when I'm on the other side of the desk (all the time, now that I'm
contracting), everything in my portfolio has a cover sheet explaining how
and why and when and where and what my constraints were. I've been on
serial interviews, and each person seems to want to look at my portfolio
while I'm speaking to the next person. Having cover sheets "covers" me in
this situation -- I've been complimented quite nicely on it, too.

I try to forestall the "prove it" question by discussing my work as they
leaf through it -- pointing out things I'm proud of and things I'd do
differently now.

Dunno if this helps anyone, but it's worked for me!

Bonni
Bonni Graham
Manual Labour
Director, Region 8 Conference