Re: Introducing FTP-ing for Anna & Others

Subject: Re: Introducing FTP-ing for Anna & Others
From: David Wilson <dwilson -at- PHOTON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 1994 19:31:05 -0800

Brad sez:

> My normal sequence of commands is ftp <machine address>, ls, cd, get
> <filename>, and bye, commands which are defined below.

> _Once you've got the 'ftp>' prompt, the following commands are useful:_

So I sez:

There is one more step needed in the sequence above. Most ftp sites
expect one to log in just like any other multiuser system. An anonymous
ftp site (which was the subject of the original question, btw) will
accept a user name of "anonymous", with your e-mail address as a
password. So I might have an ftp session that starts like so:

28% rftp ftp.sdsc.edu <------ the command to start the ftp session

Using SOCKS protocol ver. 4 to proxy server photon.com
Connected to rosebud.sdsc.edu.
220 rosebud FTP server (Version 2.0WU(12) Mon Jun 7 15:26:59 PDT 1993) ready.

Name (ftp.sdsc.edu:dwilson): anonymous <----- my input

331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.

Password: dwilson -at- photon -dot- com <----- my input

230-
230- Welcome to the San Diego Supercomputer Center's new UNIX based
230- anonymous ftp archive. Local time is currently Wed Jun 1 19:22:33 1994.
230-
230- All transfers are logged with your host name and email address.
230- If you don't like this policy, disconnect now!

etc...

From there, it's just like Brad sez...

David.