Re: Writing on the go

Subject: Re: Writing on the go
From: Chuck Banks <chuck -at- ASL -dot- DL -dot- NEC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 1994 10:08:08 CDT

For Logendra Naidoo, et al:

One solution:

Get a video camcorder, the smaller the better.
PRACTICE using it...practice a LOT!

Get several battery packs for the camcorder and
avoid using a spot light as much as possible.

Practice with a co-worker or family member doing
any task, preferably a task about which you know
very little.

Record the entire task, ask questions before,
during, and after the task.

Review the tape and note where your questions
were needless, that is, questions that were
answered by watching the task process.

If the prohibition against questions is VERY
strict, don't ask any. Just tape the process.
Just ask to reveiw the tape with the participants
or some other knowledgeable person at a later
date.

PROTECT THE TAPE AND ENSURE ONLY YOU AND YOUR
FELLOW INFORMATION DEVELOPERS SEE IT.

DON'T LET ANYONE MAKE COPIES. DON'T TAKE THE
TAPE OUT OF THE OFFICE.

Such tapes are valuable to you and potentially
dangerous to your sales effort. After all,
many people wouldn't eat bologna after watching
it being made.

When you no longer need the tape, ERASE it!

I have found video tapes to be very valuable when I am
not allowed to ask questions. I have usually been able to ask
questions at some later date.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards!

Chuck Banks
--
|\\ | || // Chuck Banks
| \\ | ||_______ || Senior Technical Writer
| \\ | || || NEC America, Inc.
| \\| \\______ \\______ E-Mail: chuck -at- asl -dot- dl -dot- nec -dot- com
America, Incorporated CompuServe: 72520,411