Online constructions

Subject: Online constructions
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 1994 13:21:25 -0500

I am new to the biz of writing online help. I found myself having
to change my paradigm of writing rather explicitly to writing
minimally.

For example:
<minimal method>
Close
Closes the current window.

Instead of
<action verb method>
Use the Close command to close the current window.
or
<the wordy method>
The Close command closes the current window.

The "minimalist" information (Closes the current window) is a
sentence fragment, but I'm trying to convince myself that this
is indeed the best method because simpler is better. (Microsoft
uses this type of nonsentence construction as well.)

I'd like to hear some comments about wording your online help.
References to books or articles in the Journal of
Technical Communication are also welcome!

I'm looking for reassurance, but feel free to disagree with
my decision if you must! ;-)

Thanks.

LaVonna
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com