Re: (Non)Degreed and...

Subject: Re: (Non)Degreed and...
From: BurkBrick -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 1994 20:11:38 EDT

>So ... when interviewing prospective writer-folk, don't just
>peruse the samples. Ask detailed, probing questions about the
>technology, the layout, the tools, the graphic decisions ... anything you
>can think of to determine the individual's degree of involvement
>in generating the work.

On the flip side of this, whenever I interview with a prospective client and
they look at my samples (BTW, I'm surprised at how many don't), I always
offer information about the different projects and problems or successes I
thought I had in getting the projects done. I actually began doing this as a
defensive measure - some of my work was compromised (to my mind) by bonehead
management decisions. Interviewers react positively to this - sometimes they
are not comfortable with what technical writing is or what questions they
should be asking, so it gives them a springboard to getting the right
questions.

You do have to be careful with this - they need a chance to review the stuff
without me running off at the mouth, but overall I have found that initiating
the discussion is worthwhile.

Barb