Re: (Non)Degreed and insu

Subject: Re: (Non)Degreed and insu
From: Marilynne Smith <m -dot- smith182 -at- GENIE -dot- GEIS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 1994 04:46:00 UTC

I've nothing against acquiring a good education. However, I have noticed a
good deal of "degree snobbery" - that is, the attitude that since one has a
degree one is better than anyone who doesn't have a degree. IMHO that is an
overestimation of one's worth.

Indeed, I have spent a lot of time at college, usually at night school after
a day of work. I am demanding of my professors in that I see them as
providing a service. I pay my money and expect to leave the class with some
good solid information. There is a lot of variation in whether or not the
professors live up to that ideal. I deeply resent a professor who wastes my
time.

I am not comfortable with the idea that a degree verifies that a person is
good in their selected field. I think a lot of mediocre people hold college
degrees. I believe that college graduates should prove themselves in the
world in their chosen field before declaring themselves superior workers.

Part of my sourness on this issue is that I have experienced this in my own
life. In one case, a person with a degree and a major in Russian received a
writing position I felt I was qualified for. Even though I don't have a
degree I have more than an adequate number of college credits in writing,
technical writing, and editing. I had more experience in the field.
Because I didn't have the degree, she was selected. She was perceived to
have a certain, undefineable something because of the degree. I was told
that was the reason.

However, I would like to drop this issue. I signed on to the net in order
to meet people who were interested in technical writing and editing. This
discussion isn't a good way to begin. <smile>

-Marilynne