Re: Ain't: The right time and the right place.

Subject: Re: Ain't: The right time and the right place.
From: SuePStewrt -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 1994 00:38:32 EDT

>>If you're down South, however, it is completely proper to use "ain't" in
>>casual conversation; in fact, to use "isn't" is incorrect. >>That'll mark
>>you as an outsider.<<

Ex-SQUEEZE me?? Andreas, I was not only born in the South, my ancestors have
been southerners since before the revolution. If I had EVER used "ain't", my
Southern Belle mama would have wahshed out mah mouf with soap. Southerners
speak just like everyone else; educated Southerners speak like other educated
Americans, less educated Southerners may speak like other less-educated
Americans. You will be considered just as "couthless" saying ain't in the
south as you would anywhere else.

Miss Sue, in her hoop skirt and pantaloons