Re: correct passwords

Subject: Re: correct passwords
From: Eric Ray <ejray -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 1994 09:47:42 CDT

FWIW,
I consider myself a technical communicator--not a "software
documenter." Software documentation is what happens to pay
the bills at this time.

My point was that it seems patronizing to tell someone to
follow the instructions *correctly." Like they're maybe
going to follow them *incorrectly* for the fun of it or
because they don't realize that instructions should be
followed correctly? (heavy sarcasm)

To take an example from my time spent documenting trenchers
(small tractors with very large chain-saw-type attachments
on the back to dig trenches):

* Disengage the trencher drive before dismounting from the
tractor.
- or -
* Correctly disengage the trencher drive before ....

It seems that any kind of modifier about how to follow
instructions is superfluous to say the least.
Eric
ejray -at- okway -dot- okstate -dot- edu

Subject: correct passwords
Author: ,"Segal, Betty S." <bss3 -at- phpmts1 -dot- em -dot- cdc -dot- gov> at SMTP
Date: 6/4/94 3:01 AM

Rich wrote:
...I wish you software documenters would realize that there is
more technology to write about than what's in that little box
on your desk.
My sentiments exactly.

Betty
bss3 -at- phpmts1 -dot- em -dot- cdc -dot- gov