Re: Job Searching

Subject: Re: Job Searching
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 1994 13:39:49 -0700

Len Olszewski said:
> Rather than search for a job, search for a company. Research a series
> of companies, find out their locations, their personnel policies, how
> happy their employees seem to be, and so on.

This is what Bolles suggests in "What Color Is Your Parachute?"
I've been trying to do this (having changed careers!) and I have
found it extraordinarily difficult. There is no really good source.
If you happen to find printed information about the company, it
may be out of date, or it may not cover all the areas of the
companies. A lot of companies seem to have "groups", and it's
the group that needs a writer, or not. But finding out what sort
of groups there are, and what they are like, is really hard from
the outside. It seems hard (from what I've been told) from the
inside, too.

I'm not belittling the concept--I think it's a great concept. But
I'm finding it extraordinarily difficult to implement.

> And, if it doesn't work out for you, take contract jobs. Or marry into
> money. Or both. 8-)

This part I'm still working on!

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com