Re: Resume fonts

Subject: Re: Resume fonts
From: "K. Hirst" <kehirst -at- BLUE -dot- WEEG -dot- UIOWA -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 1994 10:55:16 -0500

Recently I was on search committees for two different jobs. For the
one that involved considerable design and desktop publishing, we did
consider the appearance of the resume -- we expected the applicant to
present an attractive, inviting resume along with a cover letter that
commented on the applicant's strengths, fitting our needs, etc. We didn't
especially care whether the font on the cover letter matched that used on
the resume. We did all scowl at those who sent 8 point fully-justified
letters, because they were hard to read.

For the job that involved advising -- some letter writing but no design --
we just wanted readable resumes and cover letters that presented the
applicant well. There was one resume that made us all say "eeuuw!" -- the
applicant's name was in a fancy Old English font and there were a few other
fonts mixed in. Other than that, we were more concerned with whether we
could read the things easily. (Points off for typos, confusing sentences,
layout that obscured dates of experience & so on).

--
Kristin (signature under construction)