Printing Companies

Subject: Printing Companies
From: Valerie Archambeau <varchamb -at- MIDWAY -dot- UCHICAGO -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 1994 10:39:13 -0600

Hello everyone--

I'm not sure that this is an appropriate topic for this list.
If it isn't, kindly ignore me. =-)

I was recently hired to revamp/improve my department's Resource Guide--our
only *major* publication (therefore it serves as PR as well as a user's
manual).

For years, they had been printing it in house, on a high speed Xerox 9790
from an Amdahl 5990, then sending to the University copy shop to be
collated and stapled (7,500 copies!).

This year, on my suggestion, we will be sending the booklet to an outside
printer. I have selected three printing companies to visit and give a
short presentation. I have asked each to bring a list of references and
some of there other projects. All of these companies do pre-press.

Has anyone on this list ever had to select an outside printer?

What are some probing questions that would allow me to make a proper
selection? Should (oops!) I request these gentlemen to bring any other
other materials?

At my last job, we already had a working relationship with an excellent
printer, so this process wasn't necessary.

Thanks a bunch!

Valerie
varchamb -at- midway -dot- uchicago -dot- edu