Karen's Steps

Subject: Karen's Steps
From: Lissa Richman Evms <RICHMAN -at- PICARD -dot- EVMS -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 1994 17:05:26 -0400

This is just an idea in response to Karen Steele's query about how many
steps to combine...

Now, my training is mostly in composition theory, peppered with technical
writing and science.

But, I wonder if it would be wise to include no more than 5 actual steps
in a given procedure if for no other reason that a reader's experience
with 3 and 5 step processes.

When learning to write, we learn in steps - most of us learned the 5 para-
graph theme (good or bad, this is the way it is). It seems like a logical
approach that might adapt well to the instuctional situation.

Step 1: This is the "getting there" or the "orientation/introduction" to
the process. E.g., type your password and press enter/return.

Step 2: This is actually the first step of the procedure group.

Step 3: Actually the 2nd step.

Step 4: Actually the 3rd step.

Step 5: Ending the process (orienting the reader for the next group of
steps (e.g., Now that you have accessed your BUTTINIT file, your
next action will be to list your SNAPITSHUT files.

Certainly, this process may seem rudimentary - but, what do you think?

Oh, I realize that some procedures may only be 1 or 2 steps, I am suggesting
limiting it to 5.......

Lisa