Re: (tangent) Click or click on

Subject: Re: (tangent) Click or click on
From: BurkBrick -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 1994 09:09:53 EDT

Ken asks:
>When an application has on-screen "buttons" (or "icons") that the
>user can trigger with a mouse click, which do you write:
> (a) "Click on the <icon_name> button."
> or
> (b) "Click the <icon_name> button?"

If I can insert a tangential comment here -

I have an aversion to "the blankety-blank key" and "the blankety-blank
button." I've started using graphics
in the text so I can say, "Click [blankety-blank graphic here]." This does
two things - 1) it gets rid of "the" and "key" or "button"; 2) the user sees
exactly what to select. I do this for both software and hardware products.

Partly because of this, and partly because I think "on" is subject to doubt,
I prefer structure b).

>Flames-to: /dev/null

Ha! We see your diabolical ways - don't think you can fool us this easily!

Barb