Re: Dan Dieterich responds

Subject: Re: Dan Dieterich responds
From: Joe Fockler <jfockler -at- IPHASE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 1994 10:58:54 -0500

stuff deleted

+ sense to me to think that people would choose to be gay. Would you choose to
+ do it? Don't you imagine it would be a living hell to have every straight
+ person you meet discriminate against you?

EVERY STRAIGHT PERSON ??? I understand your point. However, many who read
that statement will be provoked to anger because it is not true in every
case.

+ Do you think that people actually sit down and decide that they will be
+ homosexual and have society hate them? To me that's literally unimaginable.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The media portrays homosexuals as, hated by "society" when it is not true
in all cases.

+ You're right, Beth, that most of us agree that blacks have a right to
+ say they are proud of being black. What then is the problem with a white
+ person saying he's proud of being white? The problem is that blacks in America
+ were treated as subhumans by whites in America, for over a century under
+ slavery, and then for over a century after slavery before "separate and
+ unequal" treatment was made illegal. Even today, many whites treat blacks as
+ if they were subhuman. Since the seventeenth century, whites were the dominant
+ race in what is now the United States. Over the centuries, whites worked hard
+ to take away the pride of black people in this country. I don't know of any
+ group that has worked hard to take away the pride of white people. Therefore,
+ what does it mean to say "I'm proud to be white"? Does it mean, "I'm glad I'm
+ not black"? I honestly don't know, nor do I know why a white person would say
+ it.

If you'll check your history, you'll find that the Egyptians held slaves
(not black people). Many of the first setttlers here in America were
indentured servants and yes, even slaves. Every great nation throughout
history had slaves of one form or another.

+ +
+ - Dan

I hope this is received in the same spirit that it is written.

Joe Fockler
Interphase Corporation
Dallas, TX 75234
jfockler -at- iphase -dot- com