Re: References

Subject: Re: References
From: Kelly Hoffman <kelly -at- NASHUA -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 1994 16:33:06 EDT

Doug, Data Librarian at Ext 4225 <engstromdd -at- PHIBRED -dot- COM> writes:

> So, are "good references" still a big deal or not?

I've always supplied references with my resume, on a separate page.
I've changed jobs twice in the past four or five years, and both
times at least two of my references were called and spoken to at
length. I don't know how much weight was given to what they had
to say, though.

> However, company policy prohibits managers from giving any information
> concerning former employees to outside sources, except to confirm the
> dates of employment.

This is becoming quite common, I understand. As such, it seems that
many, if not most, potential employers will understand that current
references may not be available.

I've been somewhat lucky -- either former employers didn't have
this restriction (at least at the time), or I've been able to
use former managers who have also left the company.

In any case, if you do supply references, make sure you notify them
if you give their names to a potential employer. I'm always amazed
at how many folks don't do this.

kkh
kelly -at- nashua -dot- hp -dot- com