How would you re: a/an SQL

Subject: How would you re: a/an SQL
From: Barb Miller <millerb -at- TCPLINK -dot- NREL -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 07:58:42 MST

Technically, an acronym is pronouncable, e.g., scuba, laser, HUD.
Strings of letters not pronouncable are called initialisms.
(Trust me, we're the government and we're really into acronyms
and initialisms!)

I would suggest if SQL is often pronounced "sequel," you might
state that in parentheses the first time the acronym is mentioned
or in a list of terms, if you have one.

"The figure below shows a SQL (pronounced sequel) query."

That way you take care of novices who might not know the standard
pronounciation.

By the way, thanks for all the responses to my between/among
dilemma.

Barb Miller
National Renewable Energy Laboratory
Golden, Colorado