Re: a SQL / an SQL

Subject: Re: a SQL / an SQL
From: Susan Fowler <sfowler -at- EJV -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 1994 12:57:02 EDT

Now that this issue is completely resolved (as per Glen Accardo's last message),
I asked a friend who's been in the computer business longer than I have about
SQL/Sequel, and she confirmed a suspicion of mine: That there is or was a
separate program called "Sequel."

She said that IBM invented Sequel, which eventually became SQL (standardized
query language?) and that mainframers sometimes still call SQL "Sequel."

This being the case, I wonder if 1) Sequel still exists/is marketed and 2) by
calling SQL "Sequel," one is destroying its trade name (like using Kleenex for
facial tissue or Xerox for copiers).

Any historians available?

--Susan Fowler
sfowler -at- ejv -dot- com